The Victorian Government is building a new youth justice centre to the west of Werribee, in the vicinity of Cherry Creek. The site is approximately 11km from the Werribee train station and is 1.5km north east of Little River Road where it joins the Princes Freeway.
Providing a new youth justice facility is an essential part of the government’s commitment to improving community safety and modernising Victoria’s youth justice system. The new youth justice centre will play a key role in the rehabilitation of young people and children who are offending and improve community safety.
The new centre will include:
- beds for remand and sentenced young offenders
- a bed mental health unit
- an intensive intensive unit of at least eight beds.
Project objectives and areas of focusThe new centre will:
- meet the expected demand for youth justice custodial services over time;
- address the requirement for enhanced safety and security; and
- deliver rehabilitative services for young people.