The Essential Services Commission determines the maximum surcharge that can be collected when someone pays for a taxi using any method other than cash. We are reviewing this surcharge.
Non-cash payment transactions include those made by credit card, charge card, and debit card. Cabcharge cards and dockets are also considered non-cash payment methods.
The current maximum surcharge is five per cent.
More detail on the maximum surcharge and our role can be found on our website.
Our draft decision is to reduce the surcharge
We are proposing:
- to reduce the maximum surcharge to 4.5 per cent (including GST). Our benchmarking and bottom-up cost assessment suggest that this is enough for taxi payment processors to recover their reasonable costs; and
- to delay the implementation of the changes to the maximum surcharge until 1 January 2020 to minimise industry disruption.
Our draft decision sets out in detail our analysis and the basis for our recommendations.
Share your views with us
We welcome submissions in response to the draft decision paper. Submissions are due by 22 July 2019.
To share your views with us, please complete the submission form below. Alternatively you can also make a submission by:
- Emailing your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faxing your submission to 03 9032 1303
- Sending your submission by mail to:
Essential Services Commission
Level 37, 2 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
If you would like further information about our draft decision, or our review, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.