Suburban Rail Loop East (SRL East) will connect our growing health, education, retail and employment precincts in Melbourne’s east and south east between Cheltenham and Box Hill.
It involves delivering:
- Twin 26-kilometre rail tunnels
- Four new stations with interchanges to existing stations at Cheltenham, Clayton, Glen Waverley and Box Hill
- A transport super hub at Clayton for regional passengers
- Two new stations at Monash and Burwood
- A stabling facility and power supply substation at Heatherton
- An intervention and ventilation facility at Mount Waverley
- A power supply substation at Burwood
- A dedicated fleet of new high-tech trains to transform how Melbourne moves.
Suburban Rail Loop is a step closer to construction with the release of the Business and Investment Case outlining how it will deliver more jobs, better services and access to housing as Victoria continues to grow. You can provide your feedback on the Business and Investment Case here.
Environment Effects Statement
Major projects like the city and state-shaping Suburban Rail Loop require extensive statutory approvals.
SRL East will be subject to an Environment Effects Statement (EES) – our State’s most comprehensive and transparent environmental assessment process.
The EES will assess potential impacts on people and places associated with rail infrastructure for SRL East supported by a range of technical studies and assessments.
The EES for SRL East needs to be assessed and project approvals granted before major construction can begin.
As part of preparing the EES, we have been gathering your feedback on SRL East, including areas, design considerations and construction impacts that are important to you.
Your feedback is already helping us shape Suburban Rail Loop’s planning and design and is a key part of the EES which will go on public display in November 2021.
We will continue to engage with communities and key stakeholders throughout the project.
As Suburban Rail Loop progresses, we continue to welcome your feedback. You can currently have your say on SRL East Initial Works by completing the survey or by submitting feedback to the Suburban Rail Loop Authority team.
Find out more about what we’ve already consulted on.