Engage Victoria is the Victorian Government's Online Consultation platform provided by the State of Victoria through the Department of Premier and Cabinet and supported by Harvest Digital Planning. It provides an opportunity for citizens to be involved in public decisions that affect them.
What information do we collect?
We collect information about you and your use of the Engage Victoria site which may vary depending on your particular interaction with the service.
For statistical purposes, we may collect the following data about your visit to the Engage Victoria site in order to improve the service. We collect clickstream data and visitor logs to measure visitation numbers and the following information.
- Your server IP address
- The date, time and duration of your visit
- The pages that you access within Engage Victoria including how long you spend on each
- Your route through Engage Victoria (the sequence of pages and other content that you visit)
- Any documents, images or videos that you download from the service
- The immediately previous website that you visited
- The website you visit immediately following Engage Victoria and
- The type of browser that you used.
All of the information collected on unregistered users is completely depersonalised. This means we cannot identify who is undertaking the actions that we are monitoring. We will not attempt to identify you except when we are legally compelled to do so.
If you are a registered user, we may, in addition to the above data and depending on the nature of the consultation, collect the following information:
- Full name, gender, post code, address, email address and age bracket
- Username and password for Engage Victoria
- Subscription by you to other (optional) electronic communications from us
- Content that you post on Engage Victoria such as comments, votes, ideas, formal submissions, survey and poll responses
- Topics about which you have indicated an interest in being consulted or informed.
- If you choose to register via Facebook, your email address.
Note that if you register or log in to Engage Victoria via Facebook we will verify your details with
Facebook but will not store your Facebook account information.
By monitoring this additional information that you provide, we are able to protect the integrity of the discussions from individuals and groups who may attempt to unduly influence the outcomes of a consultation process. For example, we check to ensure each user has a single email account. We also review the site to protect it from spam or trolls.
How will we use your personal information?
We use the personal information about you to:
- Administer the site and manage your account
- Identify when you sign into your account
- Send you newsletters and information, but only when you have agreed to us sending you this information or when the information is necessary to assist with the administration of the site
- Respond to queries that you have contacted us about
- Attribute content that you post on the site to you
- Analyse use of the site to inform ongoing improvements and enhancements
- Inform policy decisions by the Victorian Government and
- For any other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your personal information.
We will protect and handle your personal information in accordance with the Victorian Government’s Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
Regardless of whether you are a registered user, we will retain any communications that you send to us in accordance with the Victorian Public Records Act 1973. We will store this information in a secure area within our message services system and will use it in accordance with the Act or as required or authorised by law.
Data collection tools
We collect the data and information outlined above including a combination of Google Analytics, server logs and tools within the functionality of the site, using data security protocols.
Where data in Google Analytics is stored offsite, we ensure this is depersonalised and cannot be used to identify specific individuals. Where data and information is collected via the site’s servers and tools, this is managed through our data security protocols and processes.
What’s publically available and what’s not?
Not all of the information that you provide to us will be able to be viewed by other users of Engage Victoria
Publically available information
Content that you post on the site publicly, will be able to be viewed by everyone who uses the site. Each post will contain your username and any publically available reports from consultations, and may include quotes from participants in forums, surveys and other consultation tools.
We will never disclose the following information when supplied by you, to other users:
- Your password for Engage Victoria
- Your post code, email address or age bracket
- Any other personal information provided by you in the course of consultations that you do not expressly provide permission to disclose
- Any data obtained using Google Analytics
- Communications that you send to us using Engage Victoria contact information and
- Information that you submit to specific consultations or other pages within Engage Victoria where the particular page specifies that the information will be kept confidential.
Is the information that we collect accurate?
We try to ensure that the personal information that we collect is accurate. If information that you have provided to us is no longer accurate, please support us to update our records by logging into your Engage Victoria account page where you can update your details. Alternatively, you can Contact us
When will we contact you?
We may send you information and announcements from time to time by email or via social media networks.
You can choose to receive newsletters and other updates from us by email. If you choose this but then change your mind, you can unsubscribe at any time by following the process set out in the emails and newsletters that we send you.
There are some other important matters that you should know about:
- You should note that transmission of information via the internet is never totally risk free. You should make your own assessment of the potential risks to the security of your information when making a decision as to whether or not to use Engage Victoria
- The information that you submit through Engage Victoria. may be transferred to countries other than Australia.
What if you have a complaint?