Development Victoria has commenced planning for the future of the Highett Gasworks site at 1136-1138 Nepean Highway, Highett. Development Victoria is responsible for undertaking urban renewal, property development and major projects on behalf of the Victorian Government.
We are committed to working closely with the community to ensure any future development at Highett Gasworks achieves a balance of environmental, social, cultural and economic outcomes.
It is now time to create a Development Plan for the former Highett Gasworks. We want to acknowledge the heritage of the site while bringing to life its residential potential. Since the closure of the Highett Gasworks, the 6.3-hectare site has been safely decontaminated and is ready for reuse. The site is mostly vacant, with a brick chimney being the only remaining part of the old gasworks.
Our vision is for Highett Gasworks to become home to a diverse community. Spaces will be intentionally designed to enhance lifestyle and benefit the local community as well as future residents of this iconic site.
In early 2019, the Minister for Planning considered and then accepted the recommendations of the Government Land Standing Advisory Committee (Advisory Committee) to rezone the site for residential purposes. On 18 April 2019, an amendment to the Kingston Planning Scheme (C159) came into effect allowing the site to be redeveloped. The redevelopment will now include:
- A diverse range of homes of various sizes and types
- New streets with walking and cycling paths to connect the site with the local area and nearby open space
- Well-designed open spaces
- Environmentally sustainable principles with a focus on establishing a "20-minute neighbourhood" where reliance on cars will be reduced
- Reuse of the heritage chimney as a site feature
- A high-quality landscape
- Management of traffic to minimise impacts on surrounding streets.
The approved Development Plan Overlay also sets specific requirements for the built form including:
- The building heights vary from three storeys around existing homes, and gradually increase to a maximum of eight storeys as you move towards the centre of the site.
- 10% of housing needs to be affordable as defined under the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- 11.6% of the site needs to be public open space.
What we heard
Phase one community engagement
Thank you to those who participated in the first phase of engagement for the Highett Gasworks site between 17 August and 18 September 2020
We asked the community for feedback on key themes to help shape the Development Plan for the Highett Gasworks site. Participants were able to share their feedback by completing a survey or attending one of the five online sessions.
You can read the engagement report here.
Reporting back to the community on what we heard
In December 2020, we hosted live webinar sessions to learn about what we heard during the first phase of engagement. These can be viewed on this page in the 'Webinar' tab.
You can read the frequently asked question document here.
In December 2020, we held two community webinars to provide project information an answer your questions. These were recorded and can be viewed below:
3 December 2020 Webinar
5 December 2020 Webinar
Preparing a Development Plan
We are now preparing a Development Plan for the site.
The Development Plan will provide increased clarity about future uses and development that can be expected on the site. All future planning permits approved for the site will need to comply with the Development Plan. The Development Plan, however, does not determine specifics such as detailed architectural design or construction details.
Previous community engagement related to the site and local area has delivered a range of key themes which we will consider in the design process. Below are some of the key themes we are exploring to help guide the preparation of the Development Plan:
- Identifying the best type of ground floor uses and activities.
- Identifying ways for site boundaries to integrate and blend into the surrounding neighbourhood.
- Identifying how to increase useability of the streets and paths.
- Identifying how the use of public spaces and landscape could be designed.
- Identifying preferred landscape themes and styles.
- Identifying ways to maximise active transport, movement and accessibility through and within the site
- Establishing a "20-minute neighbourhood" where reliance on cars will be reduced. A short walk, bicycle journey or public transport trip will support the majority of a resident’s daily needs.
- Identifying how the development can deliver best practice sustainable design to improve the wellbeing of residents and visitors through outdoor experiences.
- Exploring ways to incorporate adaptability within design so spaces and the way residents use them can change to meet the needs of future communities.
- Committing to a Green Star Communities rating tool to best add value to the community.
- Understanding how the development can celebrate the Indigenous and early European uses as well as the 20th-century industrial history of the site.
- Better understanding of how the development can foster a sense of community and establish a village feel.
- Identifying ways to ensure the development is safe and inclusive.
Have your say
Between 17 August and 18 September 2020, we are seeking feedback on the key themes to gather community insights that will help the project team refine a preferred Development Plan for the site.
We value, and are committed to community engagement on our projects. While our preference where possible is for face-to-face consultation, we are currently undertaking all engagement activities online. This is consistent with the Victorian Government’s public gathering restrictions in consideration of the safety and wellbeing of the community and our team. This applies across all Development Victoria projects until further notice.
You can join the conversation by:
1. Participating in an online session:
- Thursday 3 September 2020, 5.30pm – 7.00pm (This session has closed).
- Saturday 5 September 2020, 10.00am – 11.30am (This session has closed).
2. If you are a near neighbour of the site, you can register for a small group conversation:
- Tuesday 8 September 2020, 5.30pm – 7.00pm (This session is fully booked).
- Thursday 10 September 2020, 5.30pm – 7.00pm (This session is fully booked).
- Monday 14 September 2020, 5.30pm – 7.00pm (This session is fully booked).
If you were not able to attend a session and would like to provide feedback, please give us a call on 03 9021 0601 or email at Highett.GW@development.vic.gov.au.
3. Use the below survey to provide your feedback
4. Email or call the project team with your questions and feedback:
- 03 9021 0601
We will carefully consider your feedback along with technical assessments to prepare a Development Plan. We will report back on what we have heard and how your views and feedback have influenced the project.
In late 2020 we will undertake a second round of community engagement to seek feedback on the draft Development Plan and identify how your feedback has been considered.
Development Victoria will collect your personal information (gender, postcode, age, email and relationship to the site) through this form for the purposes to help us understand your feedback about the Highett Gasworks development. We will also use your personal information to keep you up to date about the project via emails and fact sheets. We will not disclose your personal information without your consent, except where required to do so by law. If you do not wish to provide your personal information we will not be able to add you to our mailing list or identify your submission if you wish to access it, make a correction or require technical support. You may contact us to request access to your personal information, or for other concerns regarding the privacy of your personal information at:
Level 9, 8 Exhibition Street
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Ph: 03 8317 3400