Help shape the future of the North
Those of you who live and work in the Northern Region know the opportunities and challenges facing your community better than anyone. By sharing the issues and priorities important to you, you can help shape the future of your region.
The purpose of this page is to let you know what the Northern Metropolitan Partnership is up to in their annual cycle of work, and inform you of the next steps and how you can get involved.
The Northern Metropolitan Partnership is an advisory group established by the Victorian Government. The Partnership is a way for local communities to engage directly with state and local governments, and advise the Victorian Government of the top priorities for jobs, services and infrastructure across the region.
The government has asked the Partnership to provide independent advice on key priorities to deliver better outcomes for the community. This advice will be become part of the government’s key decision-making processes.
The 2017 Northern Assembly
In August 2017, an assembly was held by the Northern Metropolitan Partnership, bringing together community members, businesses, councillors and mayors to help determine the key priorities for the Northern Metropolitan Region. The outcomes of the Assembly have been used by the Northern Metropolitan Partnership to inform advice to government on priorities for Melbourne’s Northern Region.Watch the video to see the 2017 Assembly in action
The 2017 Assembly highlighted the following community priorities for the North:
- Apply an equity lens over the whole plan as equity is absent in current priority statements.
- The disparity between the inner and north of the region needs to be acknowledged and addressed, there are different challenges in established and growing areas.
- Improving transport connections across the region is integral to meeting other priorities.
- Creating and supporting jobs in the region (particularly the outer areas) for all ages is crucial, and will assist to achieve many of the social priorities.
- The North’s cultural diversity should be celebrated and CALD communities supported.
- preparing for the digital economy
- Increasing the supply of affordable and social housing
- Supporting older age groups and their growing needs
- Crime prevention and addressing homelessness.
Read more about the priorities and actions identified on the evening in the summary report here (pdf download 5MB)Can’t open the file? You can download pdf reader here
Northern Metropolitan Partnership Chair, Terry Larkins:
"The Northern Metropolitan Region Annual Assembly is a way for the voices of our community to be heard.
It's important for business and communities to be involved in government decision-making because local people understand what's needed in this region.
The Northern Metropolitan Region's Annual Assembly will be held on Wednesday 25 October and we are looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas – please join the conversation."
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) is committed to protecting personal information provided by you in accordance with the principles of the Victorian privacy laws.
The information you provide will only be added to a list of people who would like to attend the assembly. The information you provide will not be used for anything else.
You may access the information you have provided to DELWP by contacting Customer Service on 136 186.