North East Link is delivering one of the largest tree planting programs for a major transport project in Victoria.
Well before major construction begins, we’re already planting new trees at Simpson Barracks in Yallambie and at Belle Vue Primary School in Balwyn North.
To help us decide where to plant next, we want to hear from you.
About the North East Link tree planting program
For every tree removed to build North East Link at least two will be planted, helping to grow a greener north and east.
More than 30,000 trees will be planted along and near the North East Link Project, keeping them as close as possible to where they have been removed. We’ll also be planting trees to shade and cool places nearby like local parks, nature reserves and walking and cycling paths.
How to get involved
Right now, we’re looking for ideas from the local community about where to plant trees in suburbs near North East Link.
Take the survey below to:
- Tell us how you would like trees to improve where you live. This will help us prioritise where and how trees are planted.
- Suggest a particular place, or places, where you think we could plant trees.
After the survey closes, we’ll create a shortlist of suggestions where planting will deliver the most benefit to the community and the environment and a summary of what’s most important to local people. This will help shape our work with councils and other authorities and landowners as we work to grow a greener north and east.
To help increase the chance a place you suggest gets shortlisted, you should make sure it is:
- In a suburb close to North East Link, or in one of the six council areas the project passes through (Banyule, Boroondara, Manningham, Nillumbik, Whitehorse and Yarra).
- Somewhere you think more trees would benefit the local community or the environment.
- Somewhere with enough space for tall trees with wide branches to grow.
If you prefer, you can post your submission to us by downloading the tree planting survey and returning to North East Link Project at GPO Box 4509 Melbourne VIC 3001. Please label submissions ‘North East Link Tree Planting Program’.