The Public Hearing on the North East Link Project concluded on 16 September 2019 and the joint Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) subsequently submitted its report to the Minister for Planning (the Minister).
The Minister’s Assessment on the environmental effects of the Project is now complete. The Minister’s Assessment can be found on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) website on the 'Overview' and the 'Documents' tabs.
The Minister has also released the IAC’s report which can also be found on the same DELWP website on the 'Overview' and 'Documents' tabs.
All of the documents presented to the Committee during the pre-hearing and hearing stages are available under the 'Tabled Documents' tab below. The daily recordings from the Hearing are available under the ‘Hearing Recording’ tab below.
A joint Inquiry and Advisory Committee (IAC) was appointed to consider the Environment Effects Statement (EES), Works Approval Application, draft planning scheme amendments affecting the Banyule, Boroondara, Manningham, Nillumbik, Whitehorse, Whittlesea and Yarra planning schemes and public submissions in accordance with the Terms of Reference approved by the Minister for Planning.
North East Link provides a new freeway standard connection between the M80 Ring Road and an upgraded Eastern Freeway, completing the missing link in Melbourne’s metropolitan ring road. It will give the city a fully completed orbital connection for the first time. The project includes Victoria’s longest twin road tunnel, Melbourne’s first dedicated high-speed busway, new public open space and extensive walking and cycling links.
The project includes:
- M80 Ring Road to Lower Plenty Road: From the M80 and Greensborough Bypass to the northern tunnel portal, this section will include above, below and at surface road sections, with new road interchanges at M80, Grimshaw Street and Lower Plenty Road.
- Tunnels: From the northern tunnel portal located just north of Lower Plenty Road to south of Manningham Road, twin tunnels would travel under residential areas, Banyule Flats and the Yarra River. Near each tunnel portal supporting tunnel infrastructure would be required, including ventilation structures and substations. This section would include a new interchange at Manningham Road.
- Bridge Street to Eastern Freeway: This section would include open cut and bored or mined tunnel with the southern tunnel portal located south of the Veneto Club. Further south, surface road and viaduct structures would connect to the Eastern Freeway via a new interchange.
- Eastern Freeway upgrades: From around Hoddle Street in the west to Springvale Road in the east, modifications to the Eastern Freeway would include widening to accommodate future traffic volumes, provision of new dedicated bus lanes for rapid bus services and associated works.
North East Link Project (NELP) is managing the Project on behalf of the Victorian Government.
View the Project
You may inspect the EES, draft planning scheme amendment and works approval application and any related documents free of charge on the North East Link Project webpage.
Further information regarding the works approval application and the role of the EPA is available on the Environmental Protection Authority of Victoria's webpage.
Exhibition and submissions
Submissions were invited between 10 April and 5.00pm on 7 June 2019. For all enquiries about the submissions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Directions Hearing was held on 21 June 2019, 10:00am at the Veneto Club, 191 Bulleen Road, Bulleen.
The purpose of the Directions Hearing was to:
- consider any preliminary or procedural issues and give directions about the conduct of the Hearing including the exchange of any expert witness reports
- make arrangements for the Hearing, including the Timetable and Hearing venue
- answer any questions people may have about the Hearing.
A recording of the Directions Hearing is available on YouTube.
Expert Witness Reports (evidence) from North East Link and any party proposing to have a witness were required to provide them to the Inquiry and Advisory Committee and all parties on the Expert Evidence Distribution list by 4.00pm Monday 15 July 2019.
The Expert Witness Reports (evidence) that were submitted to the Inquiry and Advisory Committee are now available under the 'Tabled Documents' tab below (Tabled document numbers 24 to 33).
Any individual who provided a submission also has the opportunity to be heard at the Public Hearing following the submissions process. The Public Hearing was open to the public to observe.
The Public Hearing commenced on Thursday 25 July 2019 at The Veneto Club, 191 Bulleen Road, Bulleen and concluded on 16 September 2019.
The hearing timetable outlined the dates and times parties are to appear at the hearing. For each day of the hearing, we have published the hearing proceedings of which parties appeared and when they appeared at the North East Link hearing.
View the full hearing proceedings document here.
Minister's Assessment and Joint Inquiry and Advisory Committee Report
The Minister’s Assessment on the environmental effects of the Project is now complete. The Minister’s Assessment can be viewed on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) website on the ‘Overview’ and the ‘Documents’ tabs.
The Minister has also released the IAC’s report which can also be found on the same DELWP website on the ‘Overview’ and the ‘Documents’ tabs.
Submissions and material presented through the Committee process are public documents. These documents can be viewed on the Tabled Documents page.
The recordings from the Inquiry and Advisory Committee Hearing can be found on the Hearing Recordings page.
A break down of who appeared at each day of the Hearing can also be found on the Hearings Recording page.
For questions about the Minister's Assessment and EES process, please contact:
|Name||Impact Assessment Unit, DELWP|
|Phone||(03) 8392 5503|
For questions about the Inquiry and Advisory Committee process (including questions about submissions), please contact:
|Name||Planning Panels Victoria|
For questions about the Works Approval Application, please call:
|Phone||1300 372 842|
More detail about the North East Link Project is available at: northeastlink.vic.gov.au
If you require an Interpreter please call TIS (Telephone Interpreting Service) on 131 450 and ask to connect to North East Link Project on 1800 105 105.