The Sunbury Road Upgrade is part of the Northern Roads Upgrade which will improve six main roads in Melbourne’s northern suburbs.
As part of the Sunbury Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Powlett Street and Bulla-Diggers Rest Road
- install traffic lights to replace the roundabouts at Francis Boulevard and Lancefield Road
- install traffic lights at 600 Sunbury Road
- upgrade the roundabout at Bulla-Diggers Rest Road
- upgrade the existing bridge and build a new bridge over the Jacksons Creek
- build new walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
The upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- connect existing and emerging communities to the Sunbury town centre
- accommodate for future residential and commercial growth along Sunbury Road
- provide easier and safer walking and cycling around the local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by installing safety barriers and reviewing speed limits.
We expect to award a contract in mid-2020 with construction to start on the Northern Roads Upgrade from late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Sunbury Road Upgrade later this year.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Sunbury Road Upgrade.
Public consultation was promoted through a range of engagement activities including letter box drops, newspaper advertisements, social media advertisements, letters, emails, a community pop up event and engagement with local councils.
We received over 130 pieces of feedback about the Sunbury Road Upgrade. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
Throughout 2019 and 2020 we’ve door knocked local residents, distributed project updates, emails and attended local community events to continue raising awareness of the upgrade.
Visit the MRPV website to subscribe and receive the latest project updates.