The Pound Road West Upgrade is part of the South Eastern Roads Upgrade which will improve six main roads in Melbourne’s south eastern suburbs.
As part of the Pound Road West Upgrade, we’ll:
- build a new bridge over the Cranbourne train line to connect Pound Road West and Remington Drive
- add an extra lane in each direction between Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway
- install new traffic lights at Ventura Place and Hydrive Close
- upgrade the existing intersections at Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway
- build new shared walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- reduce growing traffic pressure on the South Gippsland Highway and Abbotts Road
- improve access around the Dandenong South employment hub
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
We expect to award a contract in mid-2020 with construction to start on the South Eastern Roads Upgrade from late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Pound Road West Upgrade later this year.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Pound Road West Upgrade.
Public consultation was promoted through a range of engagement activities including letter box drops, newspaper advertisements, social media advertisements, letters, emails, a community pop up event and engagement with local councils.
We received over 90 pieces of feedback about the Pound Road West Upgrade. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
Throughout 2019 and 2020 we’ve door knocked and met with local businesses, distributed project updates, sent emails and attended local community events to continue raising awareness of the upgrade.
Visit the MRPV website to subscribe and receive the latest project updates.