The Lathams Road Upgrade is part of the South Eastern Roads Upgrade which will improve six main roads in Melbourne’s south eastern suburbs.
As part of the Lathams Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Frankston-Dandenong Road and Eastlink
- upgrade the intersection at Frankston-Dandenong Road
- widen the existing roundabouts at Oliphant Way and Frankston Gardens Drive
- install new traffic lights at the Stephensons Road and Colemans Road intersections
- build a new bridge over the Peninsula Link, adding a new lane in each direction over the freeway
- build new shared walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- enhance connectivity for the local community and businesses in Carrum Downs and Seaford
- make it easier and safer for you to walk or cycle around your local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
We expect to award a contract in mid-2020 with construction to start on the South Eastern Roads Upgrade from late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Lathams Road Upgrade later this year.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Lathams Road Upgrade.
Public consultation was promoted through a range of engagement activities including letter box drops, newspaper advertisements, social media advertisements, letters, emails, a community pop up event and engagement with local councils.
We received over 110 pieces of feedback about the Lathams Road Upgrade. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
Throughout 2019 and 2020 we’ve door knocked and met with local businesses, distributed project updates, sent emails and attended local community events to continue raising awareness of the upgrade.
Visit the MRPV website to subscribe and receive the latest project updates.