The Childs Road Upgrade is part of the Northern Roads Upgrade which will improve six main roads in Melbourne’s northern suburbs.
As part of the Childs Road Upgrade, we’ll:
- add an extra lane in each direction between Beaumont Crescent and Prince of Wales Avenue
- upgrade the roundabout with traffic lights at Bowman Drive
- build a new bridge over Darebin Creek and upgrade the existing bridge
- build new shared walking and cycling paths
- install safety barriers along the road.
This upgrade will:
- improve traffic flow and travel times
- provide an alternative route for east-west travel that avoids the South Morang and Epping town centres
- make it easier and safer for you to walk or cycle around your local area
- lower the risk and severity of crashes by adding safety barriers.
We expect to award a contract in mid-2020 with construction to start on the Northern Roads Upgrade from late 2020. We’ll know more about the exact timing of the Childs Road Upgrade later this year.
In September and October 2018, we shared our proposed design of the Childs Road Upgrade.
Public consultation was promoted through a range of engagement activities including letter box drops, newspaper advertisements, social media advertisements, letters, emails, a community pop up event and engagement with local councils.
We received over 120 pieces of feedback about the Childs Road Upgrade. We then provided this feedback to the project team who used it to refine the proposed design.
The consultation led to extra scope being added to the project design, including upgrades to the Dalton Road intersection to improve safety for those U-turning at Mindoro Crescent.
Throughout 2019 and 2020 we’ve door knocked local residents, distributed project updates, emails and attended local community events to continue raising awareness of the upgrade.
Visit the MRPV website to subscribe and receive the latest project updates.