The Eastern Metro region is identified in Plan Melbourne and includes the Local Government Areas of Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, Monash, Whitehorse and Yarra Ranges. The region is defined by its undulating landscape, established and well-treed neighbourhoods, extensive parklands, boulevards, green wedge land and rural townships.
The below video provides an introduction to Melbourne's Future Planning Framework and the Land Use Framework Plans:
Plan Melbourne is a formal document prepared by the Victorian Government which provides a blueprint to ensure Melbourne grows more sustainable, productive and liveable as its population approaches 8 million by 2050.
Plan Melbourne includes nine guiding principles that outline the Victorian Government’s vision for the future of the city:
- A distinctive Melbourne
- A globally connected and competitive city
- A city of centres linked to regional Victoria
- Environmental resilience and sustainability
- Living locally in 20-minute neighbourhoods
- Social and economic participation
- Strong and healthy communities
- Infrastructure investment that supports balanced city growth
- Leadership and partnership.
The Eastern Metro Land Use Framework Plan has been developed by the Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) to guide the application of Plan Melbourne’s nine guiding principles 32 directions at a regional and local level.
The Eastern Metro Land Use Framework Plan is a 30-year strategic vision which provides guidance on how we will:
- Shape population and industry growth
- Inform plans for services and infrastructure
- Guide public and private sector investments such as Suburban Rail Loop.
The Land Use Framework Plan document sets out how we will achieve the above under six key themes:
- Housing Choice
- Integrated Transport
- Strong Communities
- Sustainability and Resilience
Further information, including a summary document can be viewed on this page. The full-resolution draft Eastern Metro Land Use Framework Plan can be downloaded via WeTransfer (Please note this is a large file downlaod)
Eastern Metro Land Use Framework Plan
How to Participate
Attend an Event
We will be holding online Community Information Sessions in September via Zoom. Six sessions will be held, each focusing on one of the six Land Use Framework Plans and providing some further information on the 30-year vision for each area.
Community Information Session - Eastern Metro region
Melbourne's Future Planning Framework for Eastern Metro Melbourne
Wednesday, 8 September 2021
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM AEST
A recording of the Eastern Metro Community Information session can be viewed on YouTube.
Details for Community Information Sessions for the other five regions can be found at www.engage.vic.gov.au/mfpf
Provide your feedback
Hearing from you will help shape the 30-year vision and priorities for your region. Please choose one of the following ways to provide your feedback:
- Short Survey: this survey is designed for members of the community who want to provide general feedback on the vision for Eastern Metro Melbourne
- Detailed Survey: this survey is designed for stakeholders and members of the community who would like to provide more specific feedback in response to the Land Use Framework Plan, including its Directions, Strategies and Actions
- Submission: you are welcome to compile your own submission and upload it by following the links.
Alternatively, you can post in a hard copy of your submission to: Melbourne’s Future Planning Framework at PO Box 500 East Melbourne VIC 8002.
All feedback must be received by 11.59pm Sunday 24th October 2021.
Upload a Submission
Following the consultation period, all feedback will be collated and analysed with a summary of the feedback shared on the Engage Victoria website.
The Minister for Planning will consider all feedback prior to the finalisation and implementation of the Land Use Framework Plans in early 2022.