Meeting 1 September 2020 requirements - draft Council Expenses Policy
3 June 2020 - Minor update to Carer and dependent related expenses.
Section 41 of the Local Government Act 2020, Council expenses policy, replaces section 75B of the Local Government Act 1989, Councillor reimbursement policy.
A council expenses policy, under the new Act, outlines the procedures and policy for reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses of councillors and members of delegated committees.
It may be that your council’s existing policy substantially meets the new Act’s requirements, with only some minor changes necessary.
What I need to do to be compliant by 1 September 2020
To be compliant with the new Act 2020 your policy needs to:
- apply to both councillors and members of delegated committees (s 63)
- include reimbursement of childcare costs and
- provide for reimbursement of costs to expenses incurred by those who are carers within the meaning of section 4 of the Carers Recognition Act 2012.
Councils must adopt a policy meeting the requirements of the Local Government Act 2020 by 1 September 2020. In the interim the existing policy continues to operate.
NOTE: While the power exists in the Act for the Minster to make regulations in relation to council expenses policy, there are currently no plans to do so.
We’ve collated the comments we received in response to the two questions we posed:
- What do you think makes a good council expenses policy?
- What would you like included in an expenses policy?
We asked councils to submit examples of good practice in expenses policy. Note that Local Government Victoria has not assessed these policies for quality or compliance.
- Golden Plains: Councillor Entitlements and Reimbursement Policy https://www.goldenplains.vic.gov.au/sites/default/...
- Northern Grampians: Councillor Expense Entitlement and Support Policy https://www.ngshire.vic.gov.au/Your-Council/Documents-available-for-public-inspection/Council-policies/Councillor-Expense-Entitlement-Support-Policy
- Mitchell Shire: Councillor Expense and Support Policy https://www.mitchellshire.vic.gov.au/about-council/council-documents/council-policies
- Surf Coast Shire: Councillor Entitlement Policy https://www.surfcoast.vic.gov.au/About-us/Council/Councillors/Councillor-expenses-and-allowances