LGBTI Equality Rural and Regional Roadshow
The Rural and Regional Program aims to drive long term benefits for LGBTI communities including:
- Improved mental health outcomes
- Greater population retention and economic inclusion
- Capacity building for communities to empower themselves e.g. developing leaders
- Building lasting networks between LGBTI community, service providers and government agencies
- Greater broader community understanding and support for inclusion and diversity.
In November 2016, Victoria Government's first Gender and Sexuality Commissioner, Ro Allen, undertook an LGBTI Equality Roadshow across rural and regional Victoria.
The LGBTI Equality Roadshow visited over 29 towns across Victoria.
Towns visited include Swan Hill, Shepparton, Mildura, Ballarat, Stawell, Horsham, Geelong, Bairnsdale, Morwell, Wonthaggi, Violet Town, Benalla, Wangaratta, Wodonga, Warrnambool, Portland, Hamilton, Colac, Bendigo, Buloke Shire (Donald, Charlton and Wycheproof), Kerang, Macedon Ranges, Cohuna, Nhill and Ararat.
The next phase of the Program over 2018 to 2020 will respond to emerging community needs and challenges and will continue to be driven by co-design principles.
Highlights and achievements so far.....
The Rural and Regional Program has met many inspirational and hardworking LGBTI community members, allies and supporters since it began in November 2016.
"They stepped out of their offices, into a bus. They stepped out of the world of policy and legislation, and opened their hearts and minds to the community they served. They challenged rural community organisations to live out those principle of inclusion and diversity that populated their local policies and procedures."