In 2018 Development Victoria acquired the 19.2ha site on the corner of Burwood Highway and Scoresby Road, Knoxfield, with the aim to create a vibrant new community with a diverse range of sustainable housing options, public open spaces and recreational facilities. The new community will reflect Knox’s character and will be integrated with the surrounding area.
The future wetlands
Central to the new community will be an improved wetland area with enhanced habitat for the endangered Blue-billed duck and other species. Once the first phase of the improved wetland is established, the existing dam on the site will be partially filled and redeveloped.
This will result in a better overall environmental outcome for residents of the area and improve the health of local waterways, including Blind Creek.
We understand the local community’s concerns about plans to partially fill the dam, but a recent assessment by expert hydrologists determined the dam:
- is structurally unsound and at risk of collapse.
- does not provide for stormwater treatment and water retardation. This means untreated stormwater is flowing directly into Blind Creek and there is a flood risk to the adjacent light industrial area, which is lower than the dam.
- is very deep with steep banks and if someone were to fall in, it may be difficult for them to get out easily and safely.
The new wetland will:
- Provide enhanced habitat for the endangered Blue-billed duck and result in a better overall environmental outcome for residents of the area.
- Provide a range of settling, sediment and water retention ponds to treat stormwater, mitigate flooding and protect Blind Creek.
Tell us how you feel
Development Victoria is interested in hearing your views and perceptions about the new community, the public open spaces, the new wetlands and the mixed-use area.
You can do this either online using the survey below, or by visiting one of our pop-up information sessions. These sessions will give you the opportunity to meet the project team and learn about the development.
Pop-up information session
The Community Space @ Knox
Level 1 (opposite the fresh food market), Westfield Knox
425 Burwood Highway, Wantirna
Thursday 21 November, 6pm - 8pm
Saturday 23 November, 10am - 12pm
For more information:
Email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone 1800 659 116
Please take this 5 minute survey to help us understand how you feel about the new community, the public open spaces and the new wetlands.
We will collate your comments and incorporate them into the draft master plan that will guide the future development. You will be able to have your say on the draft master plan in early 2020.
The residential area
We will collate your comments and, in early 2020, we will engage with you in a range of ways to further refine the site’s design.
We will place advertisements in local newspapers and on the project’s website to publicise planned community events. In the meantime, please don’t forget to register your details to be notified of community engagement activities and project updates.