The Victorian Government wants to help regional communities adapt to the impacts of climate change.
Supporting our Regions to Adapt is a $9.3 million program funded by the Sustainability Fund.
Each DELWP region has completed a climate change adaptation gap analysis to find out about work that has already been done across the state.
The analyses demonstrate a need for a practical climate change adaptation strategy for each region.
- managing agriculture risks, profitability, resilience and opportunities in a changing climate
- building species and ecosystem resilience and functionality for long-term viability
- recognising finance, business risk and insurability underpin regional and rural economies
- preparing for earlier and longer seasons of more intense and widespread fire
- minimising health and wellbeing impacts of climate change on people
- preparing for more extreme heat in the built environment and its impacts on people
- preparing for more intense storms and flash flooding
- changing the way we think about and use water to increase resilience to long-term climate change
It does not include:
- Solar panels
- Wind farms
- Electric vehicles
- And other climate change mitigation actions
The Grampians Region Climate Adaptation Strategy will be developed by the community. It will outline a shared direction and priority actions for climate change adaptation in the region.