The Goulburn Broken Catchment extends from Melbourne’s northern fringes to the Murray River and from Mt Buller in the east to the Mt Camel Range in the west. It is home to the Goulburn River, Victoria’s longest river and the Ramsar-listed Barmah wetlands. Land use is diverse across the Catchment, with approximately 63% managed for agricultural production and the remaining 37% for a mixture of nature conservation, forestry, rural residential and urban. The Catchment’s natural resources support major agricultural, forestry and tourism industries and also make it increasingly attractive to the growing number of people seeking a rural lifestyle.
The Goulburn Broken Regional Catchment Strategy (RCS) guides efforts to build the resilience of the Goulburn Broken Catchment’s natural resources (land, water, biodiversity) and its people. It is a blueprint for future management of these natural resources and builds on the achievements and lessons of the past.
The draft Goulburn Broken RCS has been developed after almost 18 months of consultation with Traditional Owners and other stakeholders including all levels of government, agencies, community groups, land holders, industry and business.
These conversations identified key drivers of change, including climate change, urbanisation, and increased recognition of Traditional Owners’ role in natural resource management. People were also asked to share their over-arching aspirations for the Catchment’s land, water, biodiversity and their local areas. Participants were encouraged to consider multiple future scenarios and think outside the square when identifying ways to respond to change and achieve the Catchment vision of “resilient landscapes, thriving communities”.
The draft Goulburn Broken RCS aims to capture that feedback and provide a description of the current situation, principles to guide change, priority directions identified by stakeholders and what success could look like.
The draft strategy is online and can be viewed by visiting the draft Goulburn Broken RCS website. Please note: this is the first time the strategy has been presented as a website. To access a PDF version of a specific page or the entire strategy, click on the download button in the top right-hand corner of the website.
The image below provides an "at a glance" overview of the draft Goulburn Broken RCS.
How to participate
Three online workshops are being held during July to provide an overview of the strategy. Two of the workshops will also feature guest speakers who will provide insights into innovative ways of engaging with communities to bring about change. For more information about the workshops and to register visit the Goulburn Broken CMA's website.
We also need your support to implement the strategy and would love you to get on board by signing up for the Goulburn Broken RCS Pledge.
Privacy collection notice
The Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority (CMA) is committed to protecting personal information provided by you in accordance with the principles of the Victorian privacy laws.
The information you provide will be used to inform the development of the Goulburn Broken Regional Catchment Strategy 2021-27. If you provide contact details they will be used to keep you informed of the process including further opportunities for input.
You may access the information you have provided by contacting Ashley Rogers via 5822 7700 or firstname.lastname@example.org