Over the coming years the Fitzroy Gasworks will become a vibrant new neighbourhood in the heart of Melbourne. The vision for the site is to create an urban village that includes new housing, a senior high school with sporting facilities and public open space.
Development Victoria, the State Government’s urban development agency, is currently preparing a Development Plan for this project. The Development Plan will detail the land uses for the site and the requirements for development. A draft concept plan has been developed, which will form a key component of the Development Plan. Development Victoria are currently seeking feedback on the draft Development Plan.
Overview of the draft concept plan
The proposed land uses include:
- 1,100 apartments, including up to 20 per cent affordable housing
- a 650-student senior campus to provide extra capacity for students from Collingwood College and Fitzroy High School
- areas for outside play and a sports centre
- a community space to be developed in consultation with Council
- all site car parking to be located underground, with bicycle parking above ground
- provision of public open space throughout the site, with additional open space associated with residential development
- adaptive reuse of the Valve House, and relocation and restoration of the Porter Iron Store approved by Heritage Victoria.
How you can learn more
To learn more about the project and project history you can visit the Development Victoria website.
To learn more about how the site is being cleaned up to create a safer environment please visit Enviropacific’s project page.
To find out more about the Victorian School Building Authority (VSBA) plans for the Senior Secondary College, please call 1800 896 950 or email email@example.com.
We would like to hear from you
The former Fitzroy Gasworks is an important part of Fitzroy North’s industrial and social heritage.
Redevelopment of this underutilised site will help meet the Victorian Government’s objective of delivering walkable neighbourhoods, thriving shopping strips, and affordable housing close to jobs, services and transport.
Development Victoria is working with planners, designers and the community to design the look, feel and future uses for the site.
We are seeking your feedback on the draft Development Plan during October 2019. You can get involved by:
- having your say online through the survey below
- or by visiting one of our drop-in sessions at Edinburgh Gardens Community Room on:
- Saturday 19 October, 10:00am-1:00pm
- Thursday 24 October, 4:30pm-7:30pm.