Alcoa of Australia Limited (Alcoa) propose to construct additional containment cells at their existing Moolap landfill. This is part of works to reduce the number of landfills from three to two at the premises of 420 Point Henry Rd, POINT HENRY VIC 3221.
Alcoa will also need a planning permit from Greater Geelong City Council. The works approval assessment will be carried out separate to a planning permit application.
A copy of the works approval application (number 1003798) and its appendices can be viewed in the 'Supporting documents' section of this page.
For more information on the works approval process see EPA works approvals (publication 1523.2).
Following EPA's issue of a works approval to Alcoa of Australia Ltd, an application for review of the decision was lodged with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). EPA notes the VCAT hearing process is established and controlled by VCAT – EPA does not set timeframes or requirements for VCAT reviews. The works approval is on hold until the VCAT review is completed.
EPA has assessed and issued a works approval to Alcoa of Australia Ltd to extend its existing Moolap landfill at the Point Henry premises. The approval allows for:
- the disposal of wastes generated from on-site decommissioning and remediation activities in two new landfill cells
- 3.41 hectares of additional landfilling within the licenced landfill premises, with an additional 90,000 cubic metres of airspace
- further space for 1 year of landfilling (from 2020 to 2022).
If you object to the issuing of the works approval or its conditions, you may have the decision reviewed by applying in writing within 21 days of the date of issue to:
Registrar, Planning and Environment Division
Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
7th Floor, 55 King Street, Melbourne
An application fee may be applicable when lodging an appeal with VCAT.
Contact VCAT on 03 9628 9777 for further details on fees associated with an appeal. A copy of the appeal should also be forwarded, within seven days of lodgement, to:
Manager, Development Assessments Unit
Environment Protection Authority Victoria
GPO Box 4395, Melbourne 3001
Alcoa agreed to an extension of the assessment period under Section 67A of the Environment Protection Act 1970. The decision date was moved to 05 June 2020. This provided EPA more time to assess the works approval application.
Submissions on this works approval have now closed. EPA did not receive any submissions from members of the public.
What does the application propose?
Alcoa of Australia Limited previously operated the site which contained an aluminium smelter and rolling mill at the northern end of the Point Henry site. Three landfills exist at the site: the Moolap Landfill, the Original Point Henry Landfill and the CPL (Coil Preparation Line) Landfill. Alcoa of Australia Limited propose the following:
- Construction of two containment cells at the existing Moolap Landfill:
- Cell 6 will be constructed in the location of the existing evaporation cell and will comprise a composite lined cell. Cell 6 will be used to contain industrial waste and Category C prescribed industrial waste (PIW).
- Cell 7 will be located to the east of the existing Cell 4 and will comprise a double composite lined cell. Cell 7 will be used to contain industrial waste and Category B PIW and Category C PIW.
- Consolidation of three landfills into two. Approximately 90, 000 cubic metres of wastes from the CPL landfill and former industrial area will be disposed of in the proposed new containment cells.
- Capping and rehabilitation of the new containment cells. The capping of the existing Moolap Landfill cells is to be upgraded to current day best practice.
- Water management including the diversion of clean stormwater runoff around the perimeter of the containment cells and off-site disposal of leachate extracted from the containment cells to an appropriately licensed facility.