We are planning for the future of social and affordable housing in North Richmond as a part of the Big Housing Build.
This Big Housing Build investment in North Richmond will contribute to the broader program of North Richmond revitalisation.
We want to deliver more homes that are secure and affordable to better meet the housing needs of Victorians and support strong and inclusive communities. We'll work with the community on the best way to deliver new homes on the available land in North Richmond.
The North Richmond community has been actively involved in the planning for the revitalisation of the area. This includes sharing ideas, feedback and concepts for what is important to the residents, the community and what a safe, connected and thriving North Richmond might look like.
From what we have already heard, we know that it’s important to:
- provide high quality, sustainable homes
- improve safety
- improve the functionality of open space
- create connections to the surrounding communities and neighbourhood
What will the new housing at Elizabeth Street in North Richmond look like
We want to deliver new housing at the North Richmond housing site to create a well-connected and welcoming place with great open spaces, and a mix of social and affordable homes in a range of sizes to suit the needs of the community.
As a part of this project, we will build:
- more than 140 new social and affordable homes
- a mix of 1, 2 and 3-bedroom homes that are energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable homes
- all new homes will have a minimum Silver rating from Liveable Housing Australia
- at least 5% of the new social housing homes will be easy to access for Victorians with disabilities
- activities and uses at the ground floor of our buildings to contribute to safety and amenity for the community, including active interfaces and non-housing uses
How to get involved
In September and October 2021, we asked for community feedback to help us understand how we can:
- integrate the new buildings with the existing site and community
- create connections for new residents and the neighbourhood
- deliver uses in ground floor spaces to support residents and the local community
- manage pedestrian and vehicle access to create people-friendly spaces
- provide better public spaces for the community to enjoy
Our online survey was open from 22 September until midday on 12 October 2021. We also conducted 3 community feedback sessions during this period.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed feedback.
We’ll use your feedback to inform the draft planning documentation for the Elizabeth Street site in North Richmond.
In November, we’ll share the draft planning documentation with you and ask for final feedback.
The final designs will be part of the planning application submitted to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.