Your community has spoken!
Greater Dandenong residents completed more than 550 community safety surveys in August and September 2018 to help identify the local safety concerns that matter the most to them.
If you completed an online survey via Engage Victoria, or were part of the many residents that shared your insights to Victoria Police at Springvale Snow Fest, Dandenong Plaza and Market, train stations and libraries – thank you for your involvement.
We heard what you had to say about safety in Greater Dandenong. You told us that your key concerns are burglary/break and enter, illicit drugs and public safety at night. To help address these concerns, you wanted to see an increase in police presence, education programs and better public assets like Closed Circuit TV (CCTV).
Watch a short video about the results of the recent police community engagement in Greater Dandenong which identified your local safety concerns:
Greater Dandenong community safety project
In response to community engagement findings, the Greater Dandenong Young and Emerging Community Leaders program was launched in June.
This program is designed to identify, educate and empower young leaders from multiple new and emerging communities within the LGA. Over several months, participants will work together on a project of their choice to address the safety concerns raised during the community engagement activities with police. They will be supported by monthly education workshops and will receive leadership mentoring from Victoria Police, Leadership Victoria and local businesses.
The program recently launched with a weekend retreat in Gippsland, where the participants took part in a range of activities to help build relationships with local police, shared stories about their experiences and passions and learned about the role of ‘self’ in leadership.
Visit the Greater Dandenong Eyewatch Facebook page to see some photos from the launch.
Find out more
- Keep in touch with your local police and let them know what’s important to you by following the Greater Dandenong Eyewatch page
- Find out more about your local Neighbourhood Watch at nhw.com.au
- Find out more about community safety initiatives in Greater Dandenong on the Community Safety Statement 2018/19 website.
- For crime prevention tips and resources visit www.crimeprevention.vic.gov.au
- Read the latest crime statistics for Greater Dandenong by downloading a one-page fact sheet from the Crime Statistics Agency Victoria.