The government has announced changes to the planning rules for apartment developments, with a focus on the relationship between new apartment developments and the amenity of existing neighbourhoods.
These changes build on the Better Apartments Design Standards in the Victoria Planning Provisions, which were introduced by the government in 2017 to improve the internal design of new apartments and make them more liveable and sustainable.
In order to deliver on this commitment, a discussion paper has been prepared which proposes some potential changes to the Better Apartments Design Standards and the Apartment Design Guidelines for Victoria.
The discussion paper explores five policy aims for new apartment developments, including the need for:
- Green space in common areas of buildings, which preferably include trees to provide shade and landscaping that softens the street.
- High quality building facades made from robust, durable and attractive materials that complement surrounding buildings and provide visual interest.
- Protection from wind impacts on surrounding streets and open space, so the spaces are comfortable to use and likely to be used more often.
- Attractive, engaging streets that enhance the amenity, safety and walkability of the neighbourhood.
- Better managed construction impacts on existing neighbourhoods.
There are two ways to make a submission:
- online, via the online submission form, or by uploading your completed submission form. A template is provided on this page if you wish to upload a submission.
- by post, to Mr Tim Westcott, Project Manager, Better Apartments, Planning Implementation, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, PO Box 500, East Melbourne VIC 3002.
Submissions close on Friday 27 September 2019 at 5.00pm.
For more information on the Better Apartments project, please visit: Better Apartments | DELWP.
Have your say
What we will do with your submission
DELWP is committed to protecting personal information provided by you in accordance with the principles of the Victorian privacy laws.
The submission you provide to DELWP will be used to inform changes to the planning rules for apartment developments in the Victoria Planning Provisions.
The contact information you provide may be used to contact you should we need to clarify your submission.
The submission you provide will be published on the Engage Victoria website. To protect individual privacy, DELWP will remove your name and address from your submission when we receive it.
If you do not wish to be identified, please ensure there is no other information in your submission that could identify you or other individuals.
If you are making comment as an organisation, then your comments may be published, including the name of your organisation.
De-identified submissions may be used by DELWP, or its contracted service providers under confidentiality agreements, in preparing its recommendations to government.
Should you need to correct the information you provided, please contact us via email at email@example.com
You have the right to access and correct your personal information. Requests for access should be sent to the Manager Privacy, P.O. Box 500 East Melbourne 3002 or contact by phone on 03 9637 8697.