About the Black Forest Drive safety improvements
We are delivering $6 million of important safety improvements along Black Forest Drive to make a safer journey for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.
In May 2021, the Victorian Government announced funding for 11.7 kilometres of improvements between Woodend and Macedon, as part of its annual budget.
This project is expected to begin in early 2022 and be completed by late 2023, weather permitting.
These improvements are in response to local community concerns about safety on this road and a disturbing crash history, with six fatalities and 36 serious injury crashes between 2001 and 2020.
What we're planning to do
The improvements include:
- resealing of the entire length of road for a smoother journey for all road users
- improved safety for vulnerable road users by installing protected pedestrian refuges and lighting
- upgrades to intersections to cater for safer turning movements to and from Black Forest Drive
- improved safety for all road users by changing the lane configuration to two lanes – one lane in each direction, a 3-metre-wide painted centre median and on-road cycle lanes in each direction
- sealing of the entrance to priority side roads to prevent debris spreading onto the road, and installation of lighting in these locations if required.
How to contribute
The first stage of community consultation in 2018 helped us to identify the priority safety upgrades needed on Black Forest Drive.
Now that these priority upgrades have received funding, you can have your say on the prioritisation of intersection improvements and installation of pedestrian refuges along Black Forest Drive.
You can do this by exploring the map and completing the short survey below, which should only take 5-10 minutes of your time.
Your feedback will contribute to developing the final project plan.
Feedback closes at 5pm on 21 October 2021.
Webinar session Tuesday 5 October 6:30pm
Thank you to those who attended the webinar on Tuesday 5 October.
We received a large number of questions during the session. We will group questions of a similar theme and post these with our responses in the Q&A section of this page as soon as possible.
Technical data and staging considerations will be combined with your feedback to develop the final project plan.
We will share the feedback we receive and explain how it has contributed to the final plan on this website later in 2021.
Black Forest Drive safety improvements map: Woodend to Macedon
Click on the icons on the map to find out more about the planned safety improvements on Black Forest Drive.
Privacy collection notice