The redevelopment site at Bills Street in Hawthorn will offer increased housing opportunities for more Victorians, with a range of housing solutions being delivered.
We have updated the development plans based on previous community and council feedback.
Some of the changes include:
- reduced building heights so they are more in line with the surroundings
- a higher number of social dwellings as part of the total dwelling mix
- aim to incorporate 15% of the dwellings to be 3-bedroom to provide a diverse apartment offering
- no sale of public land
- below market rentals to provide housing for the lower income groups
- realigned Bills Street will act as a primary pedestrian and cycling connection to existing paths
Proposed development plans
Artist impressions credit: Hayball
The map below shows the locations of the different social play areas within the Bills Street redevelopment public spaces.
The map below shows the locations of the different types of landscaping within the Bills Street redevelopment.
Have your say
We asked for community feedback in March and April 2021 to learn more about opportunities to improve and create integrated connections and welcoming public spaces in the redevelopment.
Our online survey was open from 15 March to 16 April 2021. We also conducted 5 online community sessions during this period. Thank you to everyone who has contributed feedback.
We're now analysing your feedback and will use it to refine the development plans. The final development plans will be part of the planning application submitted to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
We'll share how feedback has influenced the final development plans in our engagement report in May 2021.
Following the outcomes of the planning approval and procurement process, we’ll start construction in late 2021.