Shape the future of Lake Tyers and Framlingham

The Aboriginal Lands Act 1970 (the Act)

The Act was originally established to accommodate Aboriginal Victorians forcibly removed from their homelands, allocating a degree of self-management through the return of land and establishment of the Lake Tyers and Framlingham Aboriginal Trusts.

The Act is now over forty years old and is challenged by not keeping pace with current laws, changes in attitudes and policy governing Aboriginal affairs in Victoria.

The review

The Victorian Government has made a commitment to review the Act to improve governance, facilitate economic development and enable greater self-determination for the Framlingham and Lake Tyers Aboriginal communities.

The review of the Act is in the context of a broader Victorian Government commitment to advancing self-determination for Aboriginal Victorians. This will include asking whether the Act is still effective in its current form or whether there are better ways to facilitate the objectives and purposes of the Act.

All members of the Framlingham and Lake Tyers Aboriginal communities are invited to have their say about the Act and possible changes. You can answer the questions below or if you would like to have a one-on-one or telephone conversation, you can call the reviewers: Jason on 02 9231 4544, or Tim on 03 9225 8444. You can also arrange a time to meet by calling Aboriginal Victoria on 03 9251 2913 or emailing

External reviewers take the lead

The Victorian Government is committed to ensuring that the review of the Act is undertaken in an objective, transparent and culturally sensitive manner. Accordingly, the Act is being reviewed by independent lawyers Jason Behrendt and Tim Goodwin.

Jason Behrendt

Jason Behrendt has acted for many years as an external adviser to Aboriginal land councils and representative bodies across the nation. He has extensive knowledge and experience in relation to land rights, native title law and natural resources law.

Tim Goodwin

Tim Goodwin is a member of the Yuin people of the South East Coast of New South Wales. He serves on a number of boards, including as a Board Member of the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.