The Victorian Government has taken significant steps to help ensure that planning around airports considers the potential safety and amenity impacts on surrounding communities and that airport operations are protected.
As Victoria's primary transport gateway for air passengers and air freight exporters, Melbourne Airport is an important infrastructure asset, vital to the State's social connectivity and economic prosperity. Victoria has long planned for Melbourne Airport's curfew-free, optimum usage four runway operation.
Learn more about the planning system's role in airport safeguarding.
About the Committee
The Melbourne Airport Environs Safeguarding Standing Advisory Committee (the Committee) has been appointed by the Minister for Planning under Part B of its Terms of Reference to provide advice on improvements to the planning provisions safeguarding Melbourne Airport and its environs.
To ensure the ongoing safeguarding of Melbourne Airport’s curfew-free operations and environs, submissions are encouraged on improvements to the Melbourne Airport Environs Overlay and related provisions, and the effectiveness of the declared Melbourne Airport Environs Area and the Melbourne Airport Environs Strategy Plan 2003.
Submissions are welcome on improvements to planning provisions that may help safeguard other airport environs in Victoria.
What the Committee can consider
A submissions guide has been published to assist in making a submission. The guide provides further background on the matters to be considered by the Committee. The Terms of Reference specify what matters the Committee must consider as well as those matters that are outside of scope. These documents are available in the Document Library on this page.
Make your submission
You are invited to make a submission to the Committee. Submissions should relate to the matters that the Committee can consider under Part B of its Terms of Reference.
Submissions are invited between Monday, 27 July 2020 and 5.00pm on Friday, 18 September 2020 and should be lodged using the submission form below on this page.
Please contact 136 186 if you would like to make a hard-copy submission or have issues lodging your submission on the form below.
Please ensure you have read the Privacy Collection Statement available below or as a PDF download in the Document Library on this page.
This Privacy Collection Statement relates to all submissions collected in relation to the Melbourne Airport Environs Safeguarding Standing Advisory Committee (the Committee).
Use of your submission
Your submission has been collected by the Committee for the purpose of helping to develop its advice to the Minister for Planning in accordance with the Terms of Reference.
Natural justice to participants and transparency are important parts of the Committee process. In meeting its legislative requirements and complying with the Terms of Reference, the Committee may do the following with your submission:
- Provide a copy of your submission to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, relevant Local Councils, Government Agencies and other parties (submitters) to the Hearing
- Provide a copy of your personal contact details to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning if needed for notification of Ministerial decisions.
- Display a copy of your submission in the Planning Panels Victoria Office
- Display a copy of your submission at the relevant Local Council Office, or Government Office as appropriate
- If a Public Hearing is to be held in person, display a copy of your submission in the Hearing room.
Publication of your personal information on the Internet
A Committee Report may be published on the internet and may include:
- The name of the submitter
- Direct quotes from some of the submission
- The submitter’s name and address as required.
Please note that even when your personal information is removed from the internet, it may remain on external servers indefinitely.
Hearing of submissions
If a Hearing is required it may be held face to face, via telephone conference or via video link or a combination of these. You should be aware the Committee may:
- broadcast submissions and proceedings live on the internet
- record submissions and proceedings
- make the recording available on request to submitters and parties to the Hearing and third parties
- publish the recording on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website, Engage Victoria website or other Victorian Government website
- use your phone contact details to contact you during a telephone/video hearing as is necessary.
The Committee will direct that parties do not record online hearings or use them for any other purpose. However, the Committee is unable to guarantee that third parties will not be recording online Hearings, and the use of any such recordings outside the hearing context cannot be regulated by the Committee.
All participants are reminded that during the Committee process, the privacy of others should be respected and to refrain from the defamation of others.
After the Committee has reported
After the Committee has reported to the Minister for Planning your submission will be removed from all public display within a period of up to six to eight weeks.
Your original submission and any additional material provided will be held at Planning Panels Victoria for two years and then sent to the Public Records Office of Victoria. All additional copies of the submission and other material held by Planning Panels Victoria will be securely destroyed.
If you have any concerns in respect to the way your personal information or submission will be used please contact Planning Panels Victoria on (03) 8392 5114.