Help name your school
We are consulting with the Greater Shepparton community on the name of the new secondary school.
The name needs to reflect the school’s unique identity, inspire local pride and make the school easily locatable. It must also be approved by emergency services authorities and consider local Aboriginal languages.
Between 19 March – 16 April 2019, we called for school name ideas from the community.
The following names are proposed for further community consultation:
- Goulburn Valley High School
- Greater Shepparton High School
- Greater Shepparton College
Have your say
Tell us which school name you like best by ranking the proposed names.
Simply place the names in order of preference from first (1) to
PC USERS: drag and drop the school name from the left to the right column.
MOBILE USERS: tap the options in order of your preference from 1 to 3.
Why these names?
Naming a public building is a complex process that takes several months to complete.
Here is a summary of the guiding principles involved. A school name should:
1. Ensure public safety and operational safety for emergency response - without causing confusion for transport, communication and mail services
2. Recognise public interest - the long-term effect of the name on the wider community
3. Link the name to place - be relevant to the local area
4. Avoid duplication of a school name within 30km radius
5. Not be discriminatory
6. Recognise and consider use of Aboriginal languages, subject to agreement from the relevant Traditional Custodian group(s)
7. Review the use of dual names where applicable
8. Avoid the names of people still living
9. Not be named after commercial businesses, trade names, estate names or non-profit organisations
10. Use standard Australian English or a recognised format of an Aboriginal language local to the area (except proper nouns); include school provision; exclude numeric value, ‘the’ as a prefix, apostrophes and abbreviations (except for St/saint)
11. Not include directional language other than the locality
Alternatively, you can post your preferences in writing up until Friday 20 September 2019.
Greater Shepparton College (interim name) School Council Advisory Group
North Eastern Victoria Regional Office
Department of Education and Training
180 High Street
Shepparton, Victoria 3630
Only one written submission will be accepted per person.
Only one Engage Victoria online or written submission will be accepted per person.
Thank you for your feedback.
Your preferences will be used to inform the Department of Education’s final decision on the school name in conjunction with the guiding principles for naming a new school. The new school name will be announced in Term 4, 2019.
Department of Education and Training (DET) School Naming policy
Naming guide for schools (Quick guide)
Naming rules for places in Victoria, statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities 2016 (Extended version)
Geographic Names Victoria