The Bendigo Education Plan 2018 is an exciting opportunity to implement a localised plan for the next ten years that aligns with the Education State’s vision to give every Victorian the opportunity to thrive, prosper, and actively participate in society no matter their background or circumstance.
This plan has been developed in partnership with the Bendigo community to improve quality and access to education in the Bendigo region. It builds on learnings from the previous ten year education plan, Bendigo Education Plan 2005.
The 2005 plan focused on secondary school renewal, including significant infrastructure and reform and personalised, differentiated learning, while the 2018 plan broadens the scope to include early childhood and higher education, skills and training.
Key Points from this plan are:
- ensuring equitable access to quality programs, pathways and facilities
- building teacher and educator capacity to support and extend all students
- creating a culture of excellence for all
- enriching approaches to curriculum, pedagogy and assessment
- strengthening supports for children and young people through key transition points in their learning
- partnering with families and carers as first-educators
- collaborating with community, business and industry to lift engagement, learning and developmental outcomes.
How you had your say
We wanted to gather a wide range of local input into the 2018 plan, and provided you with three options to have your say:
- an online comment board
- an online survey, and
- a series of six community forums held over two days in September 2017.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the community forums and provided input into the 2018 plan. Here are some of the themes and ideas you provided:
- more opportunities, programs and pathways for all children and young people
- creation of opportunities for young people to excel in their areas of interest
- stronger pathways to support children and young people finding it hard to stay engaged in education
- all children and young people achieve excellence in their learning and development encouragement and support for children and young people to achieve excellence in literacy, numeracy, science and technology and the arts.
Delivering the plan going forward
Working Groups will be established to lead the two-year strategies and actions outlined in the 2018 plan. They are:
- early years
- provision planning
- specialisation reference
- teacher practice
- student voice, engagement and transitions
- industry and business.
The broad range and evolving membership of these groups is as follows:
- Department of Education and Training (DET)
- Greater Bendigo Network Principals
- Bendigo TAFE
- LaTrobe University Bendigo
- Bendigo Tech School
- Bendigo Health
- City of Greater Bendigo
- Regional Development Victoria
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Bendigo and District Aboriginal Co-operative
- Australian Education Union
- Bendigo Library
- Early Childhood Leaders
- Primary and Secondary School Leaders
- Communities for Children Bendigo
- Loddon Child and Youth Area Partnership
- Goldfields Local Learning and Employment Network