Your new school name
Port Melbourne Secondary College (formerly Fishermans Bend Secondary) was chosen as the school name following community consultation and discussions with Geographic Names Victoria, with consideration given to factors including public interest, relevance to the local area, and the consideration of local Indigenous languages.
We consulted with the local community from Friday 11 June to Friday 25 June.
Naming a public building requires approval from relevant authorities and consideration of Aboriginal languages, alongside other guiding principles (see ‘Further information’ below).
Have your say
This survey is now closed. Thank your for your submissions.
Complete a survey
Alternatively, you can submit your preferences in writing until 5pm Friday 25 June, 2021.
VSBA Community Engagement Team
Department of Education and Training
GPO Box 4367
Why these names?
Fishermans Bend Secondary College:
The school is located in the Fishermans Bend precinct.
Port Melbourne Secondary College:
The school is located in Port Melbourne.
Sandridge Secondary College:
Sandridge was the name of the area at the head of Hobsons Bay now known as Port Melbourne.
Your preferences will help shape the Government's final decision on the school name in conjunction with the guiding principles for naming a new school.
The new school name will be announced in the coming months.
Thank you for your feedback.
- Ensure public safety and operational safety for emergency response - without causing confusion for transport, communication and mail services
- Recognise public interest - the long-term effect of the name on the wider community
- Link the name to place - be relevant to the local area
- Avoid duplication
- Not be discriminatory
- Recognise and consider use of Aboriginal languages, subject to agreement from the relevant Traditional Custodian group(s)
- Review the use of dual names where applicable
- Avoid the names of people still living
- Not be named after commercial businesses, trade names, estate names or non-profit organisations
- Use standard Australian English or a recognised format of an Aboriginal language local to the area (except proper nouns); include school provision; exclude numeric value, ‘the’ as a prefix, apostrophes and abbreviations (except for St/saint)
- Not include directional language other than the locality.
Department of Education and Training (DET) School Naming policy:
Naming guide for schools (Quick guide):
Naming rules for places in Victoria, statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities 2016 (Extended version):
Geographic Names Victoria: