Your new school name
Docklands Primary School was chosen as the school name following community consultation and discussions with Geographic Names Victoria, with consideration given to factors including public interest, relevance to the local area, and the consideration of local Indigenous languages.
The school is after the suburb it is located in. This is the first new primary school to be built in Docklands.
We consulted with local communities for three weeks from Wednesday 24 June to Wednesday 15 July 2020. Thank you for your input.
Have your say
The name Docklands Primary School has been selected by a Regional Advisory Group (RAG) from your local community.
We are interested to know whether you have any thoughts on this name or alternative suggestions.
Why this name?
Docklands Primary School:
The school is located in Docklands.
Thank you for your interest. This survey closed on Wednesday 15 July 2020.
Alternatively, you can submit your preferences in writing up until Wednesday 15 July.
VSBA Community Engagement Team
Department of Education and Training
GPO Box 4367
Your preferences will be used to inform the Department of Education’s final decision on the school name in conjunction with the guiding principles for naming a new school.
The new school name will be announced in the coming months.
Thank you for your feedback.
Naming a public building is a complex process that takes several months to complete. Here is a summary of the guiding principles involved. A school name should:
- Ensure public safety and operational safety for emergency response - without causing confusion for transport, communication and mail services
- Recognise public interest - the long-term effect of the name on the wider community
- Link the name to place - be relevant to the local area
- Avoid duplication of a school name within 30km radius
- Not be discriminatory
- Recognise and consider use of Aboriginal languages, subject to agreement from the relevant Traditional Custodian group(s)
- Review the use of dual names where applicable
- Avoid the names of people still living
- Not be named after commercial businesses, trade names, estate names or non-profit organisations
- Use standard Australian English or a recognised format of an Aboriginal language local to the area (except proper nouns); include school provision; exclude numeric value, ‘the’ as a prefix, apostrophes and abbreviations (except for St/saint)
- Not include directional language other than the locality.
Department of Education and Training (DET) School Naming policy:
Naming guide for schools (Quick guide):
Naming rules for places in Victoria, statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities 2016 (Extended version):
Geographic Names Victoria: